We are in the 8 month of the year and one of the goals for 2013 has been to put God first. At the being of the year I prayed asking God what He wanted me to do with this year and His reply was, “Put me first.” I’ll be honest with y’all I haven’t really done a fantastic job of that because I am human and I really get sidetracked. I guess I know where Mason gets it now! But I have learned a few things by putting God first in my life.
1. God keeps his promises – I have prayed to God about many things this year and for some things I am still waiting for an answer for other things he has given me an answer, but hasn’t delivered the end result. For example, I prayed about something that had to do with Mason and myself. God answered me with Exodus 33:17 and I saw changes immediately. I’ve also prayed about another area of my life and God responded with 1Samuel 16:1. Let me just say that I haven’t received this promise yet, but I am comforted to know that he has heard me. God keeps his promises. We see it over and over again in the Bible. It doesn’t matter how old you are, what science tells you, or what other people believe God does not have to work within these boundaries. I’ve learned to be less like Sarah (laughing when God promised her a child in her old age) and more like Mary! I’m just going to go with it.
2. God restores dreams – Despite what your dreams are and the outcome that your life has taken God will restore your dreams. He did it for Naomi and for Ruth. This one goes along with him keeping his promises too. God will do what he says and at the same time he will restore your broken dreams although it may not be in the way that you expected it.
3. To trust God – This has been a really hard one for me and is something that I am definitely no master at. In fact, I just recently learned how to do this on a more consistent basis. Trust has always been a hard thing for me to do and when it comes to dealing with people it is still a hard thing for me to do. But trusting in God is becoming easier. Every time I start to doubt Him I remind myself of all the other times that he has come through or I remind myself of what he says in His word. I even repeat to myself the previous two lessons learned. I think trusting in God is also a lesson in learning not worry. Once you can trust God to provide for you, comfort you, heal you, protect you, etc then you worry less and less. Some people are natural worries and it will be hard to stop others like me it won’t be nearly as hard once you fully give it over.
4. What it really means to be born again – This may seem an odd statement, but not everyone has an immediate understanding of what it means to be born again. I am learning that everyday and I have been saved for quite a while, but do you really comprehend what it means to bought by the blood? Do you understand the severity of the sacrifice? The amount of love that goes into a sacrifice of that nature? I think this lesson started to sink in more clearly when the truth of Romans 8:38-39 actually hit me.
5. How to see myself as God sees me – This has been hard and I think for women it is very difficult. In today’s society we are judged so heavily on everything we do. But to look at myself through God’s eyes has been a huge eye opener. He made me (and you) and everything he does is perfect. He makes everything so that it is pleasing to him and brings glory to him. That lets me know that even with the mistakes I’ve made or the hurts I’ve experienced he has a reason for them and all of it helps me to better grasp the love he has for me. Looking at myself through God’s eyes has done wonders for my self esteem and walk with him.
6. To be content with where I am at. – I actually prayed about this recently. I found myself complaining about everything and prayed that I God would bring me contentment in my life with my career, home, relationships, friendships, etc and guess what all week long I have found myself doodling hearts for no reason other than I am happy! To be content with everything in your life is something that definitely goes against today’s culture, but I am it doesn’t matter where I go from here I have everything I need right in this moment!
So those are a few of the things that I have learned in 2013 by putting God first in my life, I can’t wait to see what he reveals to me in the remainder of the year.